Buy cheap frames, paint the frame, and paint the glass with chalkboard paint.
Positioning small chalkboards in high traffic areas are a great way to jot quick notes that everyone can see. Most commercially made chalkboards are rather dull looking. Finding fancy metal picture frames are the perfect start to creating beautiful chalkboards that become a usable piece of art. Colorful latex paints and chalkboard paint make this an easy project for nearly anyone.
What You Need:
Metal picture frames
Colorful latex paints
What You Do:
1) Remove the backing and glass from the picture frames.
2) Paint the top of each glass surface with the chalkboard paint. Set them aside to dry completely.
3) Use the sand paper to rough-up the metal surface of the picture frames.
4) Paint each frame a different color with the latex paint. Set them aside to dry.
5) Re-assemble the frame, glass and backing. Find the perfect spot to hang them for display.
*Chalkboard paint can be found at most large craft supply stores and paint outlets. It has a strong odor, so use it in a well ventilated area or outdoors. Optimal conditions for application are low humidity days with temps of 60-75 degrees F.