Creating a crocheted nesting basket is a way to bring art and functionality to life. They are great for storing smaller items around vanities, bedside tables, kitchens and shelves. It does require the use of a thicker yarn and you’ll need a 7mm hook, but the process is easy and you can use as many different color combinations as you want. The results are fantastic!
Here is how you do it:
1) Make 2 CH and incorporate 8 SC in the 2nd CH from the hook. Join this to the 2nd CH using a SL ST. This completes row 1.
2) Do 2 CH, but HDC in the same ST. Do 2 HDC for the next 7 STs. Join this to the 2nd CH using a SL ST. This completes row 2.
3) The following step works for rows 3, 4 and 5. The only variance is the second portion, which will be pointed out. CH 2 and HDC in the same ST. HDC in the next ST (increase this to 2 HDC on row 4 and 3 HDC in row 5). 2 HDC in next ST, HDC in following ST. Alternate 2 and 1 as you go around and join this to the 2nd CH using the SL ST.
4) To begin creating the body of your basket, do a CH and SC around by working it into the loop at the back of the ST. This is the loop created by the back of the 5th row ST. Join it to the 1st CH using a SL ST. This completes row 6.
5) CH 2, HDC next ST and continue around. Join to the 2nd CH using a SL ST. This makes row 7.
6) Do a CH. SC in the same ST in the back loops around the basket. Join it to the CH using a SL ST. This is row 8.
7) CH 2 and HDC next ST all the way around. Join to 2nd CH using SL ST. This is row 9.
8) Do a CH and SC in the same ST all the way around. Join to CH using the SL ST. This is row 10.
9) Do a CH, SC next ST using the back loops and continue around. Join the CH using the SL ST. This is row 11.
10) CH 2, HDC in the same ST and continue for the next 6 STs. CH 5, SH for the next 4 STs. HDC for the following 18 STs. CH 5 and SK the following 4 STs. HDC for the next 7 STs. Join this with the 2nd CH using a SL ST. This makes row 12.
11) Do a CH and SC in the following 6 STs. Use 6 SC for the handle. This is the CH 5 area from the 12th row. HDC the following 18 STs. Use 6 SC to create the other handle. HDC the following 7 STs. Join this with the CH using the SL ST. This makes the 13th row.
12) To complete the basket, do a CH and SL ST the next ST and continue all the way around. Join it to the CH using a SL ST. Secure it and weave the ends in to blend.